DEVELOPMENT INCENTIVE PROGRAMS
The Joliet City Center Partnership seeks to promote a healthy and expanding business climate in the Downtown Core Area. Utilizing revenues from an economic development special service area (SSA), an incentive grant program has been developed to stimulate private investment and to provide a tool for sustaining redevelopment within the Downtown Core. Download Full Program.
The goals of the grant programs are to:
- Encourage business/property owners to expand, rehab, renovate, beautify or upgrade buildings, interior space and exterior space
- Facilitate the occupancy of vacant space
- Attract and retain business activity
- Increase residential density within the Downtown Core
- Foster implementation of the priorities of the Joliet Downtown Plan, Joliet City Center Redevelopment Project Area Plan, Cass Street Redevelopment Plan, and Joliet Quality of Life Plan
Eligibility to apply for grant funding is based upon the following criteria:
- Property must be physically located within the Joliet City Center Special Service Area.
- Retail or commercial use must be present or intended for first floor. Exceptions may be considered depending upon market evidence.
- Property must generate or be intended to generate sales tax, food-beverage tax, or hotel-motel tax, and shall exclude not-for-profit uses.
- Property owner consent is required as part of application.
Four categories of funding incentives are available. They include a Small Business Assistance Grant, Façade Improvement Grant, Interior Improvement Grant, and Catalytic Improvement Grant. Program details of each are identified here: Development Incentive Programs. All grants applications are subject to the availability of budgeted funds.